Monday, April 10, 2006

Sunsigns

Ever since my childhood, the most amusing idea for me has been, "What is going on in the mind of the person next to me?"

In the quest to find out the same, I came across the world of sunsigns. To start with, I thought it is the dumbest thing to assume that the entire world has 12 kinds of people. Not that I would completely disagree with the statement today. Of course, the social-political-economic environment, parents, family, friends and a lot of other innumerable factors are important in the formation of a single personality. But then, an insight into this world of sunsigns, and my views changed to some extent.

What is a sunsign? Putting simply, when you are born, the sun is in one of the 12 divisions of space made by the astrologers. And that particular division determines your sunsign. Whether astrology is a science or not, whether you should believe in it or not, I would keep all this discussion outside the scope of this blog. Since I found it worth spending my time, no prizes to guess my views on this.

Predicting future on the basis of Sunsigns is almost impossible. And that is why you might feel that all those forecasts on Sunday Magazines or elsewhere are rubbish. I agree. For predictions, Indian astrology could be better as it encompasses the effects of planets other than Sun. But at the same time, saying that it is complex, would be an understatement. And for the same reason, it has been abused by people claiming themselves to be astrologers not even knowing 5% of it actually. They remind me of this quote, "For every complex problem, there is an easy, simple to understand and wrong solution !"

It is believed that the Sun influences your personality more than any other planet. So, taking sunsigns as a basis, if you predict personalities, it would not meet the same fate as predicting future. It would be somewhat realistic.

Even more interesting is the compatibility of sunsigns. Of course, a wise person can adjust with all sorts of people. But then, sometimes you meet people and strike the right chord immediately. You seem to be speaking each others mind. They are the ones with whom you don't need to adjust. Somebody else has adjusted them to you. Probably, the Sun.

Add numerology to the sunsigns, and the predictions about personalities would get even more realistic. Given the kind of complex creature a human being is, would it not be really great if you can predict something about a person with the birthdate, notwithstanding that it is only 40-50% correct? The only reason which keeps me going on ...

4 comments:

Divya Rao said...

hey..i'v the honor to comment first!!:)) thru the blog u'v given me gyan..(as usual;) ).hey i was wonderin ki given my birthdate wat all can u predict??it'l be interestin:)

K7 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
K7 said...

Hey !! I have started blogging too ....

Vikrant Naik said...

...but if u know a bit of astronimy, there should be 13 sun signs...so eventually astrology is a failure since the begining.

true that the gravitational forces of stars and planets affect u, but i dont think we are equipped enough to know the so called "butterfly effect."